Rights and working conditions
(English) PEN America
For the last 90 years, PEN American Center has been working to ensure that people everywhere have the freedom to create literature, to convey information and ideas, to express their views, and to make it possible for everyone to access the views, ideas, and literatures of others.
PEN America runs the annual The PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature in New York.
PEN America website has a number of useful online resources for translators and writers based in North America and beyond:
– online literary content such as monthly selections of poetry in translation
– a list of grants, residencies and awards for translators
– a selection of US-based publishers who publish books in translation
– a model contract for translators
– a list of university translation programmes in the USA
– a reading list of books on translation and magazines and journal
– plus lots more. Visit http://www.pen.org/translation
(English) The Asia Pacific Writers and Translators Association
Rights and working conditions for translators
The CEATL ( The European Council of Literary Translators Associations) Website has some useful information on translators‘ rights, including information on digital rights, the legal status of translation and a code of good practise. Available in French and English. They also have up to date news, information and research resources on the working conditions of translators.
Translators‘ Associations in individual countries also usually offer advice and information. Visit Kwintessential for more information.